Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Talking to a Snow Shovel

God can meet you on a mountain or a sidewalk.

"Daddy, why are you talking to the snow shovel?"
 Asked the Heart Farmers Daughter. The big man in coveralls pursed his lips and emptied his chest. His breath became like a rising shroud in the frozen air. The big burly dude looked down at his daughter and laughed. "I wasn't talking to the snow shovel my darling Beauty, I was talking to God. I was complaining about shoveling all of this snow."

The Heart Farmer welcomed the break in shoveling and continued to share with his daughter. "Clearing our neighbors sidewalk seems like such a small thing to do. I was complaining to God about this small thing of helping our neighbor. I told God that we should be doing big things that would help lots of people." The Heart Farmer paused. His daughter took the pause as her opportunity to ask another question. "Daddy, did God answer your question?"

Her dad was leaning on his snow shovel watching his daughter's breath rise into the skies. He smiled again and said: "Yes my beautiful snowflake, God did answer. He told me that when I was busy doing big things that I didn't listen very well. He said I didn't find time to talk to Him when I was doing the big things. He said he sent the snow to slow me down. He said that He has to be able to trust me with one neighbor before He can let me serve lots of neighbors. He said I have to be faithful in little things before He will give me big things. He also told me that my children are watching me help my neighbor. Someday, He said, they will be doing the same things you are doing, in fact they will be doing greater things. Your children will be like you as a father because you became like me as your Father."

A tear formed in the big man's eye. He stuffed his shovel into a snow bank and swept his daughter up into his arms. "I love you my darling Beauty!" He said. The little girl giggled as she curled her arms around his neck. She drew her head back and then kissed the tear on her daddy's cheek. "I love you daddy! I love you to where all the snowflakes are made and back!"

Thanks for your time.
Go do something nice for somebody.
JLYASDW.

No comments:

Post a Comment