Tuesday, January 21, 2014

I'm A Law Breaker


When was the last time you did 55 in a 55?

I'm A Law Breaker


Obeying the speed limit is one of the hardest things I've ever tried to do. A few months ago I resolved to try and drive at the posted speed limit. Driving at 55 mph in a 55 mph speed zone can cause dirty looks. Young folks (and old folks) drive by as they glare at me with a look that says: "Press the pedal you turkey!" Well, I don't really think the word they used was turkey but this is a family friendly Facebook Post. So I will leave out cuss words.

Why do I want to obey the speed limit? It is not because I think that obeying laws will make me a better person. If that concept worked then the Pharisees would have been Jesus homies! (If you haven't heard that story, the Pharisees were folks who couldn't see the truth and caused the killing of Jesus.) I guess there was something inside me that caused me to look deep into the reason I was breaking the law.

I have had a habit of not leaving on time for appointments. So I hurry to get to appointments on time. I like shaving minutes off of my projected time of arrival on my GPS. It's like saving time. Saving time by speeding is deception. I've been deceiving myself. You don't save time by being late and then playing catch up as you break laws to gain the time that you have lost.

Slovenliness is a bad habit that slithers throughout your character and spreads deceit. Being an adrenalin guy I'm always flying by the seat of my pants. That in itself can be a strength. Unbridled passion without wisdom becomes a weakness. I'm finding that some of the physical habits that I have are symptomatic of spiritual weaknesses. Planning my day with wisdom will give me enough time to arrive at appointments safely, on time and lawfully.

By prioritizing my day through the seeking of wisdom first, I have gained extra time. Thanks for your time. Go do something nice for somebody.

"What I’m trying to do here is to get you to relax, to not be so preoccupied with getting, so you can respond to God’s giving. People who don’t know God and the way he works fuss over these things, but you know both God and how he works. Steep your life in God-reality, God-initiative, God-provisions. Don’t worry about missing out. You’ll find all your everyday human concerns will be met." Matthew 6:33 The Message

33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you." Matthew 6:33 KJV

No comments:

Post a Comment