Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Do You Have 30 Days Left?


 
Do you have 30 days left? Nobody really knows the answer to that question - unless of course you are a condemned man walking down death row about to be executed. I want to live my life as if I might die at any minute with the belief and hope that I have many minutes ahead of me here on earth. Either way, when I die I know I'm going to heaven. What could you do for 30 days that will impact the rest of your days?

Wisdom is something most folks would love to have more of. In the Book of Proverbs there are 30 "Sayings of Wise" contained within Chapters 22:17-24:34. I've been reading one Chapter of Proverbs each day and I will continue this endeavor indefinitely. My Grandmother lived to be almost 103 years old. When Gram talked, we listened. She was alive during 3 centuries, the wisdom and knowledge in that little lady's head (she was shrinking with age!) was huge. If I want wisdom, I have to listen, learn and live what I have learned. At the end of these 30 days, I will tell you a little more about the wisdom of Grandma Larrabee. Each day I will study and reflect upon the wisdom contained in the "30 Sayings of the Wise" and share my thoughts with you. I know we will both grow wiser with a greater capacity for actions of love. Let me add a little nugget from Proverbs 22:6,  "Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."
"There's better days ahead."
Grandma Larrabee
Today is Day 1 on our wisdom journey. The text for today is taken from The Message Bible followed by the same passage in the Amplified Bible.

Proverbs 22:17-21 The Message (MSG)

The Thirty Precepts of the Sages

Don’t Move Back the Boundary Lines

17-21 Listen carefully to my wisdom;
    take to heart what I can teach you.
You’ll treasure its sweetness deep within;
    you’ll give it bold expression in your speech.
To make sure your foundation is trust in God,
    I’m laying it all out right now just for you.
I’m giving you thirty sterling principles--
    tested guidelines to live by.
Believe me—these are truths that work,
    and will keep you accountable
    to those who sent you.


Proverbs 22:17-21 Amplified Bible (AMP)

17 Listen (consent and submit) to the words of the wise, and apply your mind to my knowledge;

18 For it will be pleasant if you keep them in your mind [believing them]; your lips will be accustomed to [confessing] them.

19 So that your trust (belief, reliance, support, and confidence) may be in the Lord, I have made known these things to you today, even to you.

20 Have I not written to you [long ago] excellent things in counsels and knowledge,

21 To make you know the certainty of the words of truth, that you may give a true answer to those who sent you?

Picture
 
 
Grandma Larrabee was dispensing wisdom to children for as long as I can remember. This is a picture of Gram on her 100th birthday with my daughter Beauty. Her name is Michelle but she will always be her Dad's Beauty! Children soak up the time we spend with them. Sowing seeds of wisdom will bear fruit in time.

 
 
 
 
Here is a brief description of my thoughts regarding the First Saying:

1. Listen and  apply. When you learn something wise you need to live what you have learned. Practice what has been preached to you.

2. Honey in your heart is even sweeter on your lips. Speak the goodness within you. There is a sign in our Youth Center that says: "Positive words only are spoken, negative words make people feel broken." Speak honey boldly!

3. One of my favorite all time songs is: "Trust and Obey." Your first unconditional trust has to be with God. If you don't believe in God, ask Him to show Himself to you.I trust that He will. God never changes, He's rock solid always "Trust-able." Am I always "Trust-able?"

4. The history of well learned and time tested principles is here for your perusal. It's a choice to accept or reject. Wisdom is precious and is here for you freely. You are precious and God's love is freely given to you.
 
5. These truths are absolute. Your honesty in dealing with others should be absolutely rock solid. The words of your heart should be like a river of love that is honest and true.If you are not truthful with your neighbor, you are not truthful with God.
I'm soaking up "Saying 1." I'm going to live my soaking by pouring the sweetness of truth out of my heart.  There is a more excellent way of life in love for 30 days and all days. God is my foundation and I desire to be rock solid with my Redeemer because He lives.

Thanks for your time. Go do something nice for somebody.
Jesus loves you and so do we.

No comments:

Post a Comment