Tuesday, May 28, 2013

DO NOT LEAVE THE HOSE!

A campfire is enjoyable when the smoke is not in your eyes.
The Fire Tower was filled with smoke so thick that you couldn't see anything - not even a hand in front of your face. Through the open door, two firefighters clad in full turnout gear, would guide a fully charged, two and a half inch fire hose into the smoky blackness. This was a fire drill created to provide life saving preparation in the event of a structure fire where lives were endangered. The rules in the smoke filled building were quite simple:
 "DO NOT LEAVE THE HOSE!"

I was ready to go into the darkness as the second man on the line with another guy holding the nozzle of the hose. We both donned our air masks which pretty much cut off any form of verbal communication. We then picked up our fire hose and stepped into the smoke. As soon as the door was closed, all light disappeared. You were left without sight and the muffled sound of your own breathing and the beating of your heart. You could feel heat and your sweat began to flow like a swollen spring creek. As we walked the first few feet, it was easy to sense or feel the presence of the other guy on the line. You knew the rules: "DON'T LEAVE THE HOSE!"
Fire can create sparks of fear in your imagination.

Separation was inevitable, although it came quite unexpectedly. The steps of two people are generally made at different speeds so there will be a "parting of the ways" so to speak. I was not ready for the manner in which we would split up. I'm not exactly sure when I realized that my partner was no longer in front of me. I reached out and felt nothing. I expected my hand to land on his shoulder when I grabbed smoke instead. My partner was not there. I tried screaming his name through my air mask and my outcry was only a holler in my own ears. I still had one hand on the hose and I knew I must maintain contact with that hose. Suddenly my foot struck something and the sparks of fear in my mind provided kindling for a fire of  anxiety in my gut. I reached down with my heavy canvass glove and thought I felt a body. I tried moving the body with one hand as I grasped the hose and screamed the man's name. There was no movement, there was no sound.

I took the hose and straddled it with my legs to maintain contact with my life line. I tried grabbing the body with both hands. It was hard to feel with those big heavy gloves. I couldn't budge the body. I finally decided to go for help. All of this happened in a few short minutes. I followed the hose to the end and was able to find where it went out through the door. I opened the door and burst out with adrenalized anxiety, ready to implore others into life saving action for my friend and partner. I looked up and saw my partner. My voice started to quiver and it rose as I angrily spoke. "What the heck are you doing out here? Didn't you know I thought you were hurt or dead? I thought you were laying on the floor in the smoke!" He said he just followed the hose out and thought I was behind him. When he realized I wasn't behind him, he did not follow the hose back and look for me.  He left me alone on the hose and just figured I would be okay.

"What I thought was an injured or dead person 
was actually a couch."

I felt foolish. My heart was in the right place in trying to save a life. We both followed the instructions that we were given: "DO NOT LEAVE THE HOSE!" What went wrong? My partner stayed on the hose and left me. Was I too slow? The only new wisdom I can glean from this experience is:
 "COMMUNICATE MORE CLEARLY
 BEFORE THE SMOKE COMES!"
My heart says that I should never leave another human being in a life or death situation. I will only leave as the last course of action to go and get help. I will only go into a burning building with like minded (or heart-minded) folks!

Today's Wise Saying is taken from Proverbs  23:15-16

Proverbs 23:15-16

New International Version (NIV)

Saying 14

15 My son, if your heart is wise,
    then my heart will be glad indeed;
16 my inmost being will rejoice
    when your lips speak what is right.

Proverbs 23:15-16

The Message (MSG)

13

15-16 Dear child, if you become wise,
    I’ll be one happy parent.
My heart will dance and sing
    to the tuneful truth you’ll speak.

Proverbs 23:15-16

Amplified Bible (AMP)
15 My son, if your heart is wise, my heart will be glad, even mine;
16 Yes, my heart will rejoice when your lips speak right things.

Proverbs 23:15-16

King James Version (KJV)
15 My son, if thine heart be wise, my heart shall rejoice, even mine.
16 Yea, my reins shall rejoice, when thy lips speak right things.

Speaking the right thing is not always speaking kind sounding words. We cannot grow without conflict, that's a principle of life. The farmer conflicts the ground with a spade before he plants a seed. The muscle needs conflict before it becomes able to bear more weight. Butterflies have a conflict with their cocoon. You need conflict to grow a bigger heart. Through brokenness we are given a greater capacity to love.

  • Is your heart a well overflowing with wisdom?
  • Do you welcome conflict?
  • Who are your closest friends? Are they "butterfly people" who will help you when you struggle? Are they "diamond people" who will help you when life is hard and full of stress? Are they "pearl people" who will turn you into a jewel when you irritate them?  
Thanks for your time. Go do something nice for somebody.
Jesus loves you and so do we.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment