Thursday, April 17, 2014

DRUNK ON ONE SWALLOW OF BROWN WATER

          Some times life's the smallest moments cause the greatest impact. Many folks tell stories about mustard seeds and mountains. My story is about some brown water and love.

          Today is Maunday Thursday, 2014. The term comes from the remembrance of what a dude named Jesus did at his last supper with his closest friends. He began the meal by washing their feet and telling them: "Love one another as I have loved you" (John 13:34). My last supper was Sunday night April 13, 2014. That was my last meal before I began my yearly custom of fasting from solid foods from Sunday evening until Friday evening.

          A fast is simply my way of saying: "I want to set aside normalcy and seek God totally." My life slows down as you might expect that it would when your body's energy wanes from fasting. Life becomes magnified with small things becoming more important than normal. I think appreciation is a food of fasting. Today it was a mouthful of brown water.

          My wife brings me coffee every morning before we spend our time reading God stuff together. After a while she goes on about her day as I commence writing a book, a blog or a post. She was in the kitchen as I took a sip of coffee. I did not swallow immediately as I normally do. I was like a wine taster savoring and discovering the flavors of a new wine. I paused and reflected on how that brown water got to be in my cup. It was like a foot washing moment, my wife is always doing something to serve me. Each day begins with brown water that she began preparing the night before. The "brown-water-coffee" is an act of love. It took me a moment to savor my wife's act of love that only served to reflect her continual acts of love. It was a "Brown-Water-Moment" and the flavor of love trickled from my mouth into my heart.

Thanks for your time.
Go do something nice for somebody.


No comments:

Post a Comment