Saturday, May 23, 2015

TODAY IS NATIONAL "DO SOMETHING NICE FOR AN OLD HEAD" DAY

Photo of Old Head was taken by Linda Kuebler.
     Last week I walked over to my neighbor's house, hoping to spread some heart smiles. I offered to share some landscaping supplies that someone had shared with my wife and I. The kind lady smiled and said she would talk to her husband and let me know. The neighbor's heart probably did smile, but mine went into a heart frown.
     The grass in the neighbor's yard was just below my knees. She went on to tell me that when her husband was younger, and before his back injury, he was very active. He would cut the neighbors lawns and shovel the snow from their driveways. They thought that when they got old that somebody would take care of them. She looked at her tall grass and said; "Forget about that!" Those words hit my heart like a hawk sinking its talons into a starling. I smiled and told her I hoped to speak to her husband soon.

     It's not like we don't help each other in our neighborhood. We cut our other neighbor's lawn and sometimes even mow the City owned lot on the corner. But still, it seems like somebody's always forgotten. I cut their lawn the next day and made plans to do a little bit more. Time is minimal when helping neighbors. it only takes a couple of hours to help a neighbor.

     I spread the word in schools this week. I told the students how I had missed an opportunity to help a neighbor, but I was given a chance to redeem myself. So I have proclaimed today (and every day this week,)  
"NATIONAL DO SOMETHING NICE FOR AN OLD HEAD DAY." 
     An old head is simply somebody who could use some neighborly support. Opportunities to do something nice for an old head are all over the place, you don't have to look hard. Don't be afraid of rejection either, somebody who rejects you has been hurt and ignored for too long - they don't trust anybody. Show some love Buffalo! Go and love your neighbor. 
Leviticus 19:32 “You shall stand up before the gray head and honor the face of an old man, and you shall fear your God: I am the Lord."
Proverbs 16:31-32 The Message "Gray hair is a mark of distinction,the award for a God-loyal life." 
 Acts 20:35 "By everything I did, I showed how you should work to help everyone who is weak. Remember that our Lord Jesus said, “More blessings come from giving than from receiving.”
Thank's for your time. Go do something nice for an old head.
Jesus loves you and so do we.

Bob Kuebler is the Founder & Director of Youth With A Purpose. Bob has spent the last 12 yrs. learning about pain and perseverance from inner city young people and their families. Healing starts with love and encompasses compassion and empathy. Our mission at YWAP is to inspire inner city young people to develop as God's leaders who overcome the mindset of poverty and gang violence. Bob is the Author of four books, several magazine articles and blogs including The Bright Spot Report. He regularly shares with audiences about how God is redeeming our cities through young people.



Bob can be reached at 716-830-8240
or ywapbuffalo@yahoo.com.
www.youthwithapurpose.org

No comments:

Post a Comment